Homemade tomato sauce is a better and healthier alternative to store-bought jarred tomato sauce. It’s fresh, authentic, flavor-packed, and easy to make with zero added preservatives or fillers.
Simple tomato sauce is something every cook should be able to make.
Most people have their favorite homemade tomato sauce recipe, whether handed down in the family or from a favorite cookbook.
It’s almost impossible to replicate the freshness and taste of a homemade sauce, especially if you’re using fresh tomatoes plucked from your backyard garden.
If you’re making pizza at home and haven’t yet discovered a homemade pizza sauce that will never let you down, you’re in for a treat! Read on to learn about the best recipe for homemade tomato sauce.
How To Make The Pizza Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce has stood the test of time as the best base for pizza and many other meals. In the 16th Century, tomatoes got to Europe, leading to the birth of the simple, classic pasta sauce called marinara sauce.
Reference to a homemade tomato pasta sauce recipe appeared in Italian cookbooks as early as 1692.
Thanks to its versatility and simplicity, marinara has remained a beloved sauce in kitchens worldwide with a perfect for every occasion quality. It forms the foundation of many classic cuisines and iconic dishes.
However, although it blends well with many dishes, marinara sauce is not intended for pizza.
While both pizza tomato sauce and pasta sauce use similar and straightforward ingredients that are quick and easy to assemble, like water, tomatoes, salt, olive oil, and dried herbs, a simple alteration makes all the difference.
Pasta sauce is cooked tomato sauce that can simmer for hours, while pizza sauce is uncooked and can be ready in a few minutes.
The best homemade Italian tomato sauce recipe only involves pureeing the best tomatoes and simply seasoning them with salt or pepper and adding little extras like oregano, garlic, or a splash of balsamic.
Uncooked pizza sauce allows you to get a better-tasting pizza with a zippy, fresh tomato flavor even after you bake it in a hot oven for a few minutes. It can even make your tortilla taste better.
Here is an easy homemade tomato sauce recipe for your pizza:
- 1-pound good quality, fresh tomatoes (4 Roma tomatoes), ripe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
The Key Is Fresh Tomatoes
The key to making the best pizza tomato sauce is fresh tomatoes. Canned and fresh tomatoes aren’t the same, and depending on the recipe, it may not be a good idea to substitute one for the other.
For example, fresh tomatoes would be more suited for a vegetarian pizza recipe than canned tomatoes since they add a hint of freshness, and you can eat them raw.
The most apparent difference between canned and fresh tomatoes is their freshness. Fresh ones are sweeter and juicier, while canned tomatoes have an acidic taste.
Fresh ripe tomatoes picked at the top of the season from your backyard, or the farmer’s market is excellent. Canned tomatoes often contain chemicals and additives for preservation and added color.
With fresh tomatoes, there are no surprises since you know what you’re putting in your sauce, which can include olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt.
Canned tomatoes are more suitable for cooking and can be an excellent choice for a homemade tomato pasta sauce recipe because they can withstand heat better.
Fresh tomatoes are a better choice if you’re preparing a raw, fresh dish like homemade tomato sauce for your homemade stuffed crust pizza.
- Knife to chop up the tomatoes
- Food processor or blender
- Cutting board
- Heat-resistant bowl or saucepan or a large pot
Step 1: Cut a mark at the bottom of all the tomatoes and place them in the saucepan or bowl.
Step 2: Heat water in the large pot until it boils, pour it over the tomatoes and let them sit for around five minutes.
Step 3: Peel off the tomatoes one by one. The hot water makes it easier to unpeel the tomatoes.
Step 4: Cut the peeled tomatoes in half and get rid of the seeds using a wooden spoon.
Step 5: Chop the tomatoes into chunks and add them to the blender or processor. Turn on the processor or blender for one second, then turn it off. Repeat this a few times until all the tomatoes are chopped.
Step 6: Add the olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt, and fresh basil leaves to enhance the flavors of the pureed tomatoes, and turn on the processor or blender in quick bursts one to two times to combine.
Step 7: If you want a smoother sauce, run longer bursts on the processor or blender to chop the tomatoes more. If you want a chunky sauce, you only need a few bursts to chop the tomatoes and mix everything
Tips for Making Homemade Tomato Sauce
- To increase the smoothness of your sauce, use a blender instead of a food processor, as it blends the tomatoes more evenly.
- You can increase the thickness of your sauce by draining the juice from the chopped tomatoes using a fine mesh strainer before you add the rest of the ingredients.
- To increase smoothness and taste, ensure you peel off all the tomatoes and remove the core, stem, and seeds.
- There are plenty of options or variations to tweak the fresh homemade pizza tomato sauce to your preferences. You can remove the oil for an oil-free sauce. It may lose some depth, but it will still taste amazing when added to the fresh pizza crust.
- You can make the sauce spicy by adding some crushed pepper or adding more garlic to make it more garlicky.
- You can store fresh homemade pizza tomato sauce in your fridge for up to seven days, and it won’t get spoilt. It makes it easy to make in double or triple batches and store for use when you’re pressed for time or have visitors at home. Ensure you use an airtight container.
- The fresh tomato sauce is so tasty on any pizza crust that you won’t need many toppings. You can eat it plain, add your favorite toppings, or try new combinations. You can add mozzarella, anchovies, mushrooms, pepperoni, peppers, eggplant, or onions.
- If fresh tomatoes are out of season, you can use a can of whole tomatoes to make the sauce. You’ll find that the texture or flavor is slightly different since canned tomatoes are more processed and cooked than fresh tomatoes and may contain additional flavors. Pour out the excess liquid in the can, put the contents into the blender or food processor, and follow the rest of the instructions in the homemade tomato sauce recipe.
- The fresh homemade pizza tomato sauce can also double as a pasta sauce.
Making fresh homemade pizza tomato sauce is easy with only a few ingredients you can find in your backyard garden, local store, or farmer’s market. It’s healthier, cheaper, and tastes way better than any jarred tomato sauce.
The main ingredient is fresh and ripe tomatoes, so ensure you can get your hands on some and follow the step-by-step instructions for the best results.
Now that you know the best recipe for homemade tomato sauce, you can learn how to make the perfect homemade pizza and pizza dough here.