Whatever popular pizza toppings you need to enjoy pizza your way, we’ve got you covered.
Plus, I’m going to show you a few more that are incredible.
Pizza: An Essential Part of American Life
Let’s face it, pizza is more than just a food item. It has woven itself into the very fabric of our culture and lifestyle.
Some individuals spend their time researching pizza, specifically studying the most popular pizza toppings.
This is due to the fact that pizza is undeniably a significant aspect of American culture.
According to surveys, Americans consume an average of 46 slices per year. Around 40% of Americans eat pizza every week.
But what are the most popular pizza toppings?
Pizza: The Social Unifier
Think about your last gathering with friends or family movie night—what was at the centre? Not surprisingly, the middle of most gatherings with friends or family movie nights usually consists of one (or more) boxes filled with yummy pizzas.
This isn’t by chance; there’s something inherently social about sharing a pie that makes pizza an ideal choice for these occasions.
The Average Pizza Consumption Rate Says it All
America’s love affair with this dish goes beyond casual get-togethers, though. Each person, on average, consumes 46 slices per year. If you think about it, that means we’re each eating almost four full-sized pizzas annually.
This statistic doesn’t only highlight our fondness for this Italian import but also speaks volumes to its convenience and accessibility; after all, enjoying your favorite slice from a local pizza joint has never been easier thanks to delivery services available today.
Research Stats on Popular Pizza Toppings
According to a survey, a majority of respondents believe that eating pizza is acceptable for lunch (63%) and dinner (62%), while a significant percentage (44%) also find it acceptable for breakfast.
Top Ten Most Popular Pizza Toppings
A variety of people have different preferences when it comes to pizza toppings, making the topping selection a highly diverse one. However, there are some clear winners when it comes to America’s favorite pizza topping choices.
- Pepperoni – The Uncontested Champion: No list would be complete without pepperoni, a spicy Italian-American variety of salami that adds an unmistakable kick to any slice. It’s no wonder why this meat-topped pizza’s king consistently tops the popular toppings charts in pizzerias across America.
- More Cheese Please: If you’re among those Americans who order extra cheese on their pies, then know you’re not alone. The added creaminess and richness from an additional layer of savory cheese simply can’t be beaten for many.
- Mushrooms: This might surprise some, but mushrooms have secured third place with their unique earthy flavor profile, providing something different than traditional meats. Mushrooms as a pizza topping are not everyone’s idea of fun but their contribution to the great taste of pizza is undeniable. This could be because they complement both meat and vegetarian pizzas, enhancing the taste of any delectable creation they are added to.
- Onions: Coming in at fourth place, freshly sliced onions are the top choice in popular pizza toppings.
Sweet or tangy raw caramelized onions offer versatility that few other ingredients can, especially when used as a pizza topping, adding depth of taste to every bite. For veggie pizza lovers, onions are definitely a favorite topping.
- Sausage: Sausage would definitely make our list of popular pizza toppings, and it comes in at number 5.
It’s often combined with meatballs, pepperoni, and even bacon. Individuals also love to pair it with toppings such as green peppers and black olives. You can order it sweet or spicy, depending on your mood.
- Black Olives: Some people have strong opinions about olives (black or green), either loving or hating them. However, olives are commonly included as a popular topping on many pizzas, especially those labeled “supreme” or “deluxe.” To avoid black olives on your pizza, it may be necessary to request the exclusion of them when ordering from your local pizza place. Learn how we incorporate olives into our amazing Mediterranean pizza recipe.
- Green Peppers: It may be surprising to note that many vegetables are included on the list, despite the fact that 62% of Americans claim a preference for meat toppings. This is most likely due to the fact that pepperoni and sausage are the main ingredients in many combinations, with vegetables added afterwards.
- Pineapple: The pineapple topping is the 8th most popular pizza topping in the United States, however, opinions are very divided when it comes to pineapple! There have been many controversial pineapple discussions among pizza enthusiasts over the years. Whichever way you look at it, some can’t deny the impressive taste of sweet pineapple on a pizza! It is commonly paired with ham, bacon, and savory cheese. It is likely that pineapple pizza will make the list of popular pizza toppings, as it adds an interesting visual aspect and also a surprising taste.
- Spinach: Did you say spinach? Yes! Another underdog that makes the popular pizza topping list. Spinach is a versatile topping that complements white pies and veggie pizzas and can be enhanced with extra garlic. If you want to add some green to your pie, it might be worth giving it a try.
- No Toppings: About one-third of pizzas in the US are ordered as-is with no toppings! 33% of people order a plain cheese pizza. All pizzas are delicious, whether they have toppings or not.
Honorable Mentions in Popular Pizza Toppings
Let’s go beyond the ordinary and explore some pizza toppings that, while not making it to the American favorite pizza topping list, have carved out a niche for themselves.
Though not widely adored, these toppings remain victorious in their own right.
Anchovies: Least Favorite but Still Loved by Some
You’ve heard of them—those small fish with an unforgettable taste.
Anchovies pack such a punch that they can easily overshadow other flavors on your pie, leading to their ranking as one of the least popular toppings nationwide. But hold up. There is more than meets the eye (or, should we say, tongue) here.
The unique flavor profile of anchovies, rich in umami (the so-called fifth basic taste), adds complexity and depth to any dish it graces, including pizzas. I would say this topping is for adventurous food lovers.
Half-and-Half Orders: Mixing Things Up
Pizza orders aren’t always straightforward at your local pizza joint, especially when you’re torn between two tantalizing options or catering for different tastes at home.
Enter “half-and-half” orders—pizzas split down the middle, sporting different sets of toppings on each side—offering variety without needing separate pies.
If anything could embody American cuisine itself—freedom expressed through food choices—then surely mixed-order pizzas would qualify? So next time indecision strikes over delicious-sounding options, why not mix things up literally?
Pizza: A Comfort Food Staple
Beyond being simply delectable, there’s another reason why Americans order extra cheese-topped pies so frequently: comfort.
Biting into a hot, flavorful piece of pizza with lots of cheese on top can be incredibly gratifying after an exhausting day.
Eater reports that people have turned towards familiar foods like pizza during uncertain times such as the COVID-19 pandemic, emphasizing its significance in our lives even further.
Suggested Reading: Was Pizza Created in Italy? Learn The History Of Pizza
Diversity in Pizza Toppings
Pizza toppings come in a multitude of flavors, from simple to complex, satisfying all types of pizza connoisseurs.
The choice ranges from meat-topped pizzas for carnivorous enthusiasts to veggie-loaded pies for those who prefer a fresher taste.
In a comprehensive survey conducted by pequodspizza.com, pepperoni was the most popular by a large margin. Approximately 68% of individuals expressed a preference for pepperoni on their pizza.
The score for sausage, in comparison, was 47%. Meats such as ham, Canadian bacon, and Italian beef all had a percentage of 20% or less.
Veggie Enthusiasts’ Selections
Naturally, not everyone craves carnivorous indulgence when choosing their preferred pizza toppings; about 38% actually favor vegetables atop their slices, according to Statista data.
From sweet bell peppers and earthy mushrooms to fresh spinach leaves, these choices are every bit as delicious.
Bell peppers offer both color and crunch, adding visual appeal along with texture variation, making each bite more exciting than the last.
Pizza is a beloved dish that brings people together. With endless topping options, crust varieties, and sizes to choose from, there’s a pizza for everyone’s taste.
So go ahead, order your favorite pizza tonight, and savor every bite.
FAQs in Relation to Most Popular Pizza Toppings
What are the 10 most popular pizza toppings?
The top ten favorites in America include pepperoni, extra cheese, mushrooms, onions, sausage, black olives, green peppers, pineapple, spinach, and, surprisingly enough, no topping at all.
What is the most popular pizza topping in the world?
Pepperoni reigns supreme as the most popular pizza topping, not just in America but globally too. Its spicy kick complements a cheesy slice perfectly.
What are the three best toppings for pizza?
“Best” can be subjective, but according to popularity rankings, pepperoni, extra cheese, and mushrooms often make it to the top three spots on American pizzas.
What is the most unpopular pizza topping?
Anchovies might have their fans, but they’re generally considered less popular among the majority of Americans when it comes to dressing up their pies.